Shannon Lake is located 2 1/2 miles Northeast of Westbank in British Columbia, Canada. It is approximately 5/8 mile across and 120ft. deep.
- It was known by the Indians as Tenas Lake (tenas meaning small)
- The lake is named after Mr. Shannon Marshall, an early Westbank pioneer
- A townsite called Westbank was originally planned at Shannon Lake but was moved because of mosquito problems.
- Shannon Lake's first school opened in 1897!
- A post office named Westbank was opened by Shannon Marshall on the "west bank" of Shannon Lake on May 1,1902.
- The elevation of Shannon Lake is 1650ft. and Westbank is approximately 1450.
Mount Boucherie in background,elevation 2499 ft.
Carrot Mountain,elevation 5100 ft.
Schoolhouse near Shannon Lake in 1897.
Millsite near Shannon Lake in the mid 1920's
Pictures of Shannon Lake
Aerial Pictures of Shannon Lake
Rafael, The Luckiest Turtle at Shannon Lake
Shannon Lake Water Rights History
1902 Post Office Named Westbank
Shannon Lake Houses For Sale
Shannon Lake B&B
Picture of the Day
If you have any questions or comments, email me:
Where is Shannon Lake? Approximately 2.5 miles, or 4 kilometers Northeast of Westbank British Columbia,
Canada. . How far is Shannon Lake
from Kelowna? 9 miles, or 14 kilometers. How deep is Shannon Lake? Approximately 120 feet, or 36.5 meters. Are boats with motors allowed on Shannon Lake? Electric motors only. Can you swim in Shannon Lake? Yes. What is the name of the mountain North of Shannon Lake? Carrot Mountain.
Why is it called Carrot Mountain? Wild carrots grow in certain areas on the mountain.
This was the first Shannon Lake website on the internet and it was created January 17, 2001